The fact that skin problems usually erupt during teenage years makes this phase traumatic for an unfortunate number of people. Mood fluctuations, personal hygiene, and even genetic tendencies are all determinants to the onset of teen acne. Fluctuating hormonal levels accompanied by the body’s natural changes makes pimples even worse. Being teenagers, it is expected that they will want to look their best, and thus use countless treatments from commercially made products to natural organic skin care to help them achieve beautiful skin.
Teenagers often have skin problems, thanks to the raging hormones that cause some pretty drastic changes in their bodies, including the skin. With acne and oily skin being the most common skin issues faced by teenagers, there are a ton of products out there designed specifically for teen skin care. It’s always handy to offset some of the problems ahead of time, though, so here are a few tips to get you started:
Choosing Skin Care Products
– Look for organic, natural ingredients that won’t irritate already sensitive skin. Most teens have sensitive skin for at least a while, and harsh chemicals can aggravate conditions like acne.
– Skin care products that are designed for teen skin will probably work best, so look for these rather than products that are meant for adult skin, which tends to be more stable.
– Avoid using only products with astringent properties. Despite the appearance of your skin, it needs moisturizing, too. The best moisturizers are ones that have a non-oily base.
– Find skin care products that offer soothing herbs in combination with other active ingredients. Lavender, aloe and chamomile are just a few of the natural ingredients available that can soothe irritated, sensitive skin.
Daily Skin Care Tips
– Washing your face is a good way to eliminate bacteria that can cause infections and worsen acne. However, don’t wash too often and avoid scrubbing, since this can cause excess oil to be secreted by the skin and will tend to irritate it, as well, causing more problems. A good foaming cleanser is a good way to go and can be rinsed gently afterward.
– Try not to rest your chin on your hand and keep fingers away from the face, since this can transfer excess oil and bacteria and cause zits. When you do need to touch your face, wash your hands first.
– For very oily skin, blotting papers can be useful. To avoid excessive face washing, just blot away the extra oil. If you don’t have blotting papers, tissues work well, too.
– Avoid popping zits. This spreads bacteria, and though it can be very tempting to get rid of an obvious blemish this way, you’ll be better off in the long run if you use a topical treatment instead of popping it.
– If you wear makeup, never leave it on overnight. It’s important to let the skin breathe, and this means washing the makeup off at night. Using a lighter application or makeup that is specially formulated for sensitive skin should help, too.
– Long hair also plays an important part in skin care. If your hair hangs in your face, it can transfer even more oil to the skin and tends to cause breakouts wherever it usually hangs. This is often the cause of “backne”, hair hanging down the back, even over a tee shirt, can wick a lot of grease into the skin. Tie long hair back and keep it nice and clean to avoid problems.
– Anti-aging and wrinkling are the next thought on the teenager’s mind. However, the damage to your skin as a result of ultraviolet radiation begins to accumulate in your teen years. This damage will manifest itself in the form of wrinkles and age spots in your twenties. Hence, whenever you go out, do not forget to apply sunscreen on your face and neck to avoid any such damage at the later age. A minimum of SPF 15 is advised by the dermatologists for better skin protection. Do not forget to apply it to your neck area as well. Noncomedogenic formulations and oil- free sunscreens are available in the market too. A very good substitute is to opt for a natural sunscreen that contains zinc oxide.
Not all teens will have skin problems, but it’s a good idea to start early with the right skin care to ensure that if you are prone to problems like acne, they will be minimized. It’s also helpful to know what you can do once pimples and zits start to appear. Using a good quality skin care product that uses natural, organic ingredients will help a lot. It’s tough being a teen, but you can ease the transition by taking good care of your skin, so it doesn’t have the chance to get out of control.